Union Home and Cooperation Minister Shri Amit Shah chaired the meeting of the Parliamentary Consultative Committee of Ministry of Home Affairs on Left Wing Extremism, in New Delhi on January 07 as per a Ministry of Home Affairs Press Release.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Nityanand Rai, Shri Ajay Kumar Mishra and Shri Nishith Pramanik, Members of the Committee from both the Houses of the Parliament, Union Home Seceratary, DG, BSF and CRPF and several senior officials of Union Home Ministry and line Ministries were present during the meeting.
In his address, the Union Home Minister said that there is no place for violence and Left Wing Extremism ideas in the “self-reliant New India” under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and the Government of India has adopted a policy of zero tolerance in this direction.
Shri Shah said that under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, the Ministry of Home Affairs’ policy to deal with Left Wing Extremism has three main pillars, which are, strategy to curb extremists' violence with Ruthless Approach, better coordination between Centre and States, and, eliminating support for Left Wing Extremists through Public participation in development.
Shri Amit Shah said that this three-pronged strategy has given historic success in curbing Left Wing Extremism in the last eight years, such as-
• For the first time after nearly 04 decades in 2022, the number of deaths of civilians and security forces has been brought under 100.
• 76% reduction in violent incidents related to Left Wing Extremism is observed in 2022 in comparison to 2010.
• The number of civilian and security personnel who lost their lives in Left Wing Extremism incidents has come down by 90% to 98 in 2022 in comparison to the figure of 1005 in 2010 and number of Left Wing Extremism-affected districts reduced to 45 from earlier 90.
• Number of districts under Security Related Expenditure (SRE) scheme reduced from 126 to 90 in April-2018 and further reduced to 70 since July-2021.
• Number of districts most affected by LWE has reduced from 35 to 30 in April-2018 and further reduced to 25 since July-2021.
• Since 2019, security forces have achieved huge success in establishing 175 new camps in Left Wing Extremism affected areas, and, reducing the security vacuum along with making top leadership of Left Wing Extremists ineffective, to break the backbone of Left Wing Extremism. He said that as a result of these efforts, success has been achieved against Left Wing Extremism in difficult areas like Budha Pahad and Chakarbanda and Bihar, Jharkhand and Odisha have been almost freed from Left Wing Extremism.
The Union Home Minister said that our security forces have caught the Naxalites with new innovative methods and under this policy, with the establishment of new security camps in Lohardaga district of Jharkhand, in February 2022 13-day joint operation got many successes.
In the meeting, all the members gave their valuable inputs and appreciated the efforts of the Modi Government in fighting Left Wing Extremism as per the Ministry of Home Affairs Press Release.